Pages

September 04, 2012

September Skillet Meals ~ Almond and Orange Pilaf


I used 1/2 lb chick peas, cooked over low heat. I lightly toasted sliced almonds and set aside. I then cooked diced onions (2) and garlic (2 cloves) lightly browned. I then added olive oil ( as needed to lightly coat rice) 3 cups basmati rice and cooked until lightly golden. I added the juice from 2 cans of mandarin oranges ( set aside oranges) and equal amount of water. Bring to boil and simmer and cover. I added mandarins, cooked chick peas and parsley. It was a hit and everyone loved it. 

Estimated meal cost $7.50




.


*Note: I am not a talented cook, nor do I really enjoy it. I tend to prepare the same mundane meals. So I decided for the month of September, I am making a new to me, meal each day. These meals are no cook or stove top meals, they are low cost and healthy. Meals vary and I hope to do some breakfast meals as well. I do not follow recipes well and I usually estimate quantities. The recipes posted are to feed my family of 11, adjust accordingly.. Click here to see the rest of the posts.

7 comments:

  1. The content is really very interesting. I am really thankful to you for providing this unique information. Please keep sharing more and more information.....keep it up. online psychic reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol... you got the psychic spam bot's attention...

    Looks absolutely delicious. And I'm sure my dh would turn his nose up at it because of the oranges, but I think I will make some anyway... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You actually spent money on almonds? And basmati rice? What did you cook it on?
    Thought ya'll were roughing it with the fire pit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the meal was actually cheap.. *see notes* We have a propane stove for rainy days, or when we don't feel like building a fire. We aren't "roughing it" we are living off grid.. Simple difference.

      Delete
  4. Who says you can't cook rice over a fire pit? My mother-in-law has been doing so for about 65+ years! (In Mexico...)

    I picked up some almonds and mandated oranges and I am trying this tonight! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving your thoughts.

If you choose to leave a comment, put a username in the dropdown box that says Username/URL. You can usually leave the URL box blank, or if the system requires one just put in my URL. Harassing comments from anonymous people will not be published. You will need to sign in if you wish to be rude.

Don't forget to check the "notify me" box to get updates on comment replies!
This makes it easier for conversation. Thanks!