Pages

October 14, 2012

The Homestead Journal~ Week 44~ General Conference

Homestead Happenings
This weekend was General Conference, for more info about this Church event click here
The temperatures are still dropping. The only benefit I see are the beautiful fall colors. We moved the wood stove into the house and are anxiously awaiting the insurance inspection.

Ezra has been so much fun with his conversations this past week. Thursday I worked a longer than normal day then had errands to run and when I came home he was upstairs didn't see me come in. A few moments later he walked in the living room and saw me and smiled and said "Hi Mom, I found you!" Then told me how he gave me hugs and kisses before I left.  It was really adorable. He also loves to dance and sing to the radio. He asks us to turn the radio up. Thursday morning, 
Zachary and Ezra were reading one of the state books (North Carolina) we have from the library. Zachary points out " This is the State Tree".. Ezra says, "That's not a state tree, that's a Pine Tree!" ... On Wednesday  when I asked him to pick up the encyclopedia's off the playroom floor and move them back to the school room.. Ezra says "Those aren't books, those are cyclopedias (encyclopedia's)" On Friday morning, I was attacked by a giant spider (Ezra's hand lol) while snuggling in bed that  morning.. he put his hand on my pillow and said " hey, mom, there's a spider on your pillow" then he kept saying " the spider is gonna get you"... He has really developed a sense of humor lately...

A few weeks back I asked to be released from my church calling as a primary teacher. I had some personal reasons for doing so. Anyhow, I was Olivia's teacher and now she has a new one. She loves her new teacher. I asked her today if she wanted me as her teacher again she said that she really loves me but she likes Sis B as her teacher. 

Cooler temps mean warmer clothes. This was a snapshot of our bi-annual clothing sort. Fun for the whole family! All the totes are emptied, laundry gathered and outfits chosen put away and purged, then stored. 


What We Are Learning About 
We are getting back into our group lesson for scripture studies and history. We are at about 2,000 B.C. The building of the pyramids. We watched Egypt: Engineering An Empire. It was a great documentary on the pyramids.  

Our Adventures
Tuesday evening Abigail and I went to our church's monthly Relief Society Meeting. It was a class on extreme couponing. The young woman did a good job. I was just reminded how I miss the rush of a super good deal.. Maybe I will hit E-bay and Kroger next week just for fun. :) The best part was standing in the cold talking with a dear friend who I had not been able to talk to for a while.. It was worth the cold toes to catch up.

Wednesday we did our weekly library and scouts. We usually don't stay long as the littles get antsy, but this time I took the 5 older ones. I think we may need to work a second library day in for the littles and continue this plan for the older ones. They also had an activity making paper airplanes and such. Quinten was a great helper showing the younger children how to make them.

Friday night Jacob and Quinten spent the night at a Boy Scout event at Ft. Knox. They will blog about it later, but these are the badges they earned. 



On Our Bookshelf
We borrow a lot of books from the library. The children pick out their own books, and I grab some that I feel they need for school. This is a somewhat partial but nearly complete list

The Little's Books 
The Littles are on a break from library books this week. But they are reading books from our own shelves, many of them Dr. Suess. 

The Older's Books
Jacob is reading Road to Serfdom for economics, the New Testament for seminary and Born to Fly  
Quinten is reading The Egyptian Box Calvin and Hobbes cartoon books  
Abigail is reading books from the Nancy Drew series 
Isaac is reading the Indian in the Cupboard
Zachary is reading books from the Magic Tree House series 

The Schooling Books

Everyday life in Bible Times
Illustrated dictionary of Bible life & times
The Israelites / by the editors of Time-Life Books.
Sign Language for Kids
Drawing Creepy Crawlies
Incredible Bugs
Math and Logic Games 
Sir Cumference and the Knight of Angleland 
Sir Cumference and the First Round Table  
A book on making paper airplanes and paper birds 

Mom's Books 
Liberty Defined: 50 Essential issues that effect our freedom


What We Are Watching 
Curious George   ★★★★
How its Made  ★★★★

Abigail and Isaac have been using Book Adventure to quiz on the books they read. Check it out! 



Additional Photos of Our Week







Linking up with these Blog Hops 



Hip Homeschool Hop Button The Prairie Homestead Button

1 comment:

  1. The little ones can be a great laugh sometimes. I like the living room tent, it looks like it would be a great reading nook.

    I give a lot of credit to those extreme couponers. Only problem I have with it is the type of food the coupons are good for. I don't buy those foods. Bummer. Though, I have heard you can still get a lot of savings out of non-food items.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving your thoughts.

If you choose to leave a comment, put a username in the dropdown box that says Username/URL. You can usually leave the URL box blank, or if the system requires one just put in my URL. Harassing comments from anonymous people will not be published. You will need to sign in if you wish to be rude.

Don't forget to check the "notify me" box to get updates on comment replies!
This makes it easier for conversation. Thanks!