Pages

April 01, 2013

The Homestead Journal ~ Week 68~ Some New Art Projects

Homestead Happenings
Even tho it snowed again this week. we are seeing a few more signs of spring. I have seen some beautiful birds on the property, they look like some sort of mocking bird, but I am not sure. I hope to get some photos of them next week. I also spotted a hawk or falcon sitting on the power lines on my way home one day.

The girls and I did some art this week. I painted the scene with a barn. Olivia copied mine. Abigail painted some of her pen and ink drawings. Later in the week we did some bubble art. It was a lot of fun and a little bit messy.

Our computer caught a virus and is out of commission until I can rescue the hard drive data. I have 10,000+ files and images to save. I used the library computer to edit my photos, but most of this blog was done from my phone.











What We Are Learning
Isaac has been studying weather. Abigail has been studying about animal husbandry. Quinten is still working on his chicken study and Jacob was studying large farm animals such as ox and cattle. Jacob is also reading about popular economists and their different philosophies.

Our Adventures
Isaac learned camping and out door safety info with his cub scouts this week. Jacob and Quinten had a camp out on a farm up the road. it was about 35 at night as when we woke up the fog was heavy, but they did great and had a blast. It's a great group of scouts and leaders. They went fishing and practiced archery.

We had dinner with some old friends we haven't seen in forever. It was nice to re-connect. We live about 20 min away. Their children are older, so it was nice for Jacob and Quinten to have someone to connect with. Several of our other friends have young girls!

I am working 4 days a week now as business is picking up. I post photos of  my week on my grooming blog here





On Our Bookshelf
We borrow a lot of books from the library. The children pick out their own books, and I grab some that I feel they need for school. 

The Little's Books

Urijah got his own library card and is very excited. This past week he has been reading the little Beatrix Potter books. He also grabbed some Thomas the Tank Engine books.

Olivia has been reading some of the younger Little House books.

Zachary read some bug books we had.

The Older's Books

Abigail read a bunch of books from the Jack Russell series. She also read Red River Stallion.
Jacob started reading about Frederick Douglas and a book called Night of the Howling Dogs, it's a true story about a Boy Scout troop.

Quinten and Isaac also read night of the Howling Dogs. Isaac is also reading The Book of Mormon Q


Schooling Books 
The Joy of Keeping Chickens
Keeping Chickens, The essential guide to enjoying and getting the best from chickens
Chick Days, And absolute beginners guide to raising chickens
The Knot handbook

Everything you need to know about the human body
Watch animals Grow: Kittens
Eye Witness Books : Butterfly and Moth
Butterflies


Mom's Books 
 National Geographic guide to medicinal herbs : the world's most effective healing plants 
Liberty Defined


What We Are Watching 
My husband talked me into watching The Walking Dead. I have now finished off season 3, just waiting on the season finale.  



On  The Menu

I plan to share more of our meals here. I will do what I can as time allows. 





Additional Photos of Our Week













Linking up with these Blog Hops 


(I am looking for more blog hops, do you have one to share? ) 

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to this post every time you post it! I love the art work.

    Sierra
    http://themoxleyfamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving your thoughts.

If you choose to leave a comment, put a username in the dropdown box that says Username/URL. You can usually leave the URL box blank, or if the system requires one just put in my URL. Harassing comments from anonymous people will not be published. You will need to sign in if you wish to be rude.

Don't forget to check the "notify me" box to get updates on comment replies!
This makes it easier for conversation. Thanks!