Pages

February 02, 2013

The Homestead Journal~ Week 59 & 60~ It's all a blur

Homestead Happenings
We have all had a tinge of sickeness. Not enough to make us purely miserable, but enough to keep us lazy. I am not sure what is is but cough and sore throat have been nagging us. Garlic, AVC and vicks ( since we don't have plain eucalyptus oil) on the bottom of our feet has helped tremendously  We did get a seed catalog in, so we hope to make some early spring garden plans next week. 

We also made some progress unpacking the library. We sure do have a lot of paper and books!

My memory card to my camera died. The little black lock thing came off, and it was in perma lock mode. Maybe there is a way to fix it, I just ordered one off of Amazon. Its double the memory of what I had. I am so happy to have a camera for pictures again!

To add to my technical troubles, the charger cord to my phone, also stopped working. This means it cannot be charged, this of course happened the day after I made my Amazon order.. I need to get to Walmart some time this week to get groceries and pick up a new one. If you have tried to reach me, I am not ignoring you! 


We did get some snow this week. Twice. The first time it melted rather quickly, the second time it stuck around a bit. Not even enough to be measurable, but enough to remind us that it is winter.

I have spent the week making phone calls trying to sort out some things that have caused quite the trouble here. I haven't given much detail, but I will probably share once we have things sorted out. Just pray that it is all resolved next week.
                                                                                                               
What We Are Learning About 
We have had a very laid back week month. They have been mostly reading and playing games online.  In our new ward, Seminary is once a week, which gives Jacob more of a home study environment. He doesn't seem as motivated here as he was in our old ward. Hopefully he will get settled in. Next week I will start back up with our assignment cards. We almost have the library (aka school room) unpacked and organized.. We found most of our books. 

Our Adventures
Jacob and Quinten attended are playing basketball on the ward team. They had a game in Louisville last week with another ward. They lost, but the boys had fun. They have also been going to Young Mens on alternate Wednesdays' with Scouts. Abigail has her Faith in God for girls two evenings a month. She has really enjoyed this, as there are plenty of girls her age. not something she is all that use to. Our van is still not "street legal" so our adventures have been limited. I did get to a working interview on Wednesday. The grooming shop is a perfect environment for me and the owner and other employees are easy to get along with. I am very blessed for that! I have to work out some scheduling hurdles, then I can get back to work! 

On Our Bookshelf
We borrow a lot of books from the library. The children pick out their own books, and I grab some that I feel they need for school. 

The Little's Books 
Dolphin Mission
Birthday for Boots
Troublesome Engines
Thomas and the Freight cars
Giraffe
My Fuzzy Valentine
Curious George
Break Van
James and the Boot lace
Why we have thanksgiving
Glasses for DW
Trail Ride 
Arthur's Christmas cookies 
Maisy, Charley and the wobbly tooth 
Maisy bakes a cake 

The Older's Books
Jacob is finishing off his insects study and his seminary reading Applied Economics 
Quinten is reading Ponds and Streams, Seashore
Abigail is Stage fright ND, 8 other ND books 
Isaac great book of ships , why are the rain forests vanishing, solar system 
Zachary is reading trial by fire, the charm bracelet 

The Schooling Books
Living in Ancient Egypt
Cultural Atlas of Mesopotamia 
Illustrated History of Firearms
Baking Basics and Beyond 
Almost from Scratch 
Liberty Defined
Brain Surgery for Beginners: And other major operations for minors
Horse
Insectsiof North America
Complete FIsh and game cook book 
The encyclopedia of world history : ancient, medieval, and modern, chronologically arranged 
 The Usborne Internet-linked encyclopedia of world history 
The joy of chickens

Mom's Books 
 National Geographic guide to medicinal herbs : the world's most effective healing plants 


What We Are Watching 

Streaming 
Curious George... all.. the.. time..  Ezra loves to grab my phone and watch it.
Backyardigans is another favorite here
Man Vs Wild... never gets old with my boys
Mythbusters... another favorite
The Rainbow Tribe was our family night movie.. I fell asleep. The children loved it
Daddy Day Care was our family night movie the week before. 

Abigail and Isaac have been using Book Adventure to quiz on the books they read. Check it out!


Additional Photos of Our Week






Linking up with these Blog Hops 



(I am looking for more blog hops, do you have one to share? ) 


2 comments:

  1. I really hope that you all start feeling better.

    That's great about the grooming job. It is wonderful when you find the right fit.

    Really enjoyed the pictures.

    You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our seed catalog has Post Its all over it! We found another company on-line that has heirloom/non-GMO potatoes starts and pumpkin seeds. (I couldn't find the pumpkins I wanted in Baker's.) We have BIG aspirations for this season!

    Look at that snow! We actually don't have a lot right now...in fact, we did some yard clean-up today! It's COLD, but no mountain of snow. I know there's plenty of time for that, but I'm hoping for an early spring (for sure).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving your thoughts.

If you choose to leave a comment, put a username in the dropdown box that says Username/URL. You can usually leave the URL box blank, or if the system requires one just put in my URL. Harassing comments from anonymous people will not be published. You will need to sign in if you wish to be rude.

Don't forget to check the "notify me" box to get updates on comment replies!
This makes it easier for conversation. Thanks!