Pages

December 01, 2012

The Homestead Journal~ Week 51~ Christmas Parade

Homestead Happenings
  We have been attending our local ward twice a month and using the other Sundays at home,  doing scripture study and spending good family time together. It gives us more time to detox from the world. Even at church we have found it seeping in. Its nice to have a day now and then for us to tune it out. I may work up the self discipline to make it a no technology day.
My little boys have been quite the source for amusement. When Ezra wants my attention he pats my leg and says excuse me mom... Lucas is now doing that and its so stinking cute. 

Urijah started calling daddy "butterball". He does it when he is trying to be playful with him. The other day, he goes up to daddy to ask him about something outside. I hear Urijah, "Excuse me, Butterball" in all seriousness. It was so funny.
 
The weather has been up and down here. I prefer the warmer weather but the winter is just so pretty. On Tuesday, we had a beautiful frosty morning. I ran out to snap a few shots before running back to my hot coco!
The fog cover was heavy as I drove out about 45 min later, but I got a half mile down the road and it was all clear.
We have also had geese every morning this week. I tried to get a few shots but I left my camera in the car every day except the day of the frost when you couldn't see them LOL
I have been trying to make the best of my new commute. I have been listening to documentaries on Netflix. One of which was Food Inc. I pass about 4 Perdue farms on the way to work. Its hard to think what is inside of there.
I have been getting use to this new schedule. Lucas, however, is not. He starts getting fussy about 4pm and I get home about 5:30. He has also been super clingy ALL NIGHT long. I enjoy the work environment but I am not sure this job will be long lived. Its not a good fit for a mom of 9. 
And it was Abigail's Birthday!Its hard to believe she was born 10 years ago! After about 36 hours in labor I gave birth to my first daughter in my living room. I named her Abigail Rhiannon Naugler. She is a beautiful girl who has amazing artistic talent. She has my soft spot for animals and she is a great big sister. I am so blessed that God sent her to me!!! We had cupcakes after breakfast on Saturday. 



Our Adventures 
Tuesday evening we attended the baptisms of a young couple. It is always such a blessing to attend one. It has really been great getting to know this family! 
Thursday was a warm sunny day. We went to the library before lunch and went to visit the cows afterwards.


 I love the warm fall colors. 


 After visiting the cows we went into town to help a friend with their vehicle. Our family loves to drive and we love to help people, so its a win/win all around. The skies were so pretty on the ride home. The chem trails add a nice brush stoke to the clouds in the sunset.


As we were travelling our road I had to yell "HORSE!" a horse was about to run in front of our van. My husband had seen it just as I did so he was able to slow down as it ran across. From the back of the van I hear " Why did the horse cross the road?"  Joe couldn't resists the staple answer. I do hope the horse finds his way home safely. 

The boys have been working on our Church's Christmas parade float. They have been doing a bit here and there on Wednesdays with scouts, and Friday they put the finishing touches on . The parade was Saturday night. Everyone did a great job on the float. My two oldest boys rode on the float and the rest of us sat in the beginning of the route. As each float went by, the children would yell "Merry Christmas!" by the end of the parade Lucas was saying, "Merry Christmas!" Ezra's eyes were just wide eyed watching. It was fun to watch my littles excitement. 

Home School Notes
Abigail has a warm pair of pj's with a duck on them. She was inspired one morning to make one out of some paper she had, layering the papers. She came up and showed me her duck and then disappeared. A little while later I found her in her room. She was working on this. She did the plants with crayon and the water with nail polish. I think it is adorable. She is incredibly creative. 


One morning as the children were waking up and I can hear their conversation from their room. Isaac is explaining the sunrise and time zones. He is listing all these different countries and the time zones they are in. He is explaining earth rotation etc. This is why I love homeschooling. Isaac learned all of this on his own (without text books and desks) and he is teaching it to his younger siblings with excitement. Way cool isn't it! 

I am still trying to work on journaling our school stuff. I need to make more time for it.



On Our Bookshelf
We borrow a lot of books from the library. The children pick out their own books, and I grab some that I feel they need for school. This is a somewhat partial but nearly complete list

The Little's Books 

The Older's Books
Jacob is finishing off his insects study and his seminary reading Applied Economics 
Quinten is reading 
Abigail is up to book 60 in the Nancy Drew series
Isaac is reading Nancy Drew books as well.
Zachary is reading a few puppy story books.  


The Schooling Books
We have 4 books from a series about weather: 
Snow, Thunderstorms, Tornado's Clouds. 
Math and Logic Games 
Four books on the branches of government and the founding documents. 

What We Are Watching 

Streaming 
Curious George
Man Vs Wild
How its Made 
Bones * 
Parenthood* 
Food Fight **
How I Met Your Mother *

DVD
Thomas The Tank Engine
Dora the Explorer

*Mom and Dad's Shows      ** Mom listens to while working/travelling

Abigail and Isaac have been using Book Adventure to quiz on the books they read. Check it out!

Challenges and Accomplishments
Joe has had the strangest of job potentials this past week. He had one offer that turned out to be a scam, it was really strange, it really looked legit. Another required a hair test drug screen. We did that before, they shaved a huge spot on the back of his head. He looked stupid for like a month. Since this was just a very part time job, 
 we decided to pass on that one as well.  We know the lord has plans, the right fit will come along, and until then, I have this new grooming job. I also took a few appointments on Saturday at the other shop I worked at. I was hesitant to take them, but I was willing to give it second chance. I did three dogs and worked alone. I have appointments next Saturday as well. It has me working 6 days through the Christmas, then it slows down in January. 


Link/Quote/Photo to Share 
"In a free country, governments derive their power from the consent of the governed. When the people have very clearly withdrawn their consent for a law, the discussion should be over. If the Feds refuse to accept that and continue to run roughshod over the people, at what point do we acknowledge that that is not freedom anymore? At what point should the people dissolve the political bands which have connected them with an increasingly tyrannical and oppressive federal government? And if people or states are not free to leave the United States as a last resort, can they really think of themselves as free?If a people cannot secede from an oppressive government, they cannot truly be considered free."
 Ron Paul


 Additional Photos to Share











Linking up with these Blog Hops 

Hip Homeschool Hop Button The Prairie Homestead Button

2 comments:

  1. As always great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to Abigail. My Abigail had a birthday also. Cool!

    I have watched Food Inc. It was very maddening to watch. Another good one is Farmageddon. I found a brand of poultry in the local Walmart that is certified free range all natural. I learned from those videos you can't trust the packaging. Just because it says natural, doesn't mean it's what we think. I am glad I found this brand,though it costs more. I at least know my meat isn't raised inhumanely.

    Just wanted to let you know my ladybugsabode.blogspot.com is up and running again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving your thoughts.

If you choose to leave a comment, put a username in the dropdown box that says Username/URL. You can usually leave the URL box blank, or if the system requires one just put in my URL. Harassing comments from anonymous people will not be published. You will need to sign in if you wish to be rude.

Don't forget to check the "notify me" box to get updates on comment replies!
This makes it easier for conversation. Thanks!